Children and Divorce – Grandparent Rights

Grandparents spending time with young grandchildren

Our office receives a lot of inquiries about grandparents rights.  As a general rule, custody is an issue solely between the legal parents of a child.  However, there are circumstances in which grandparents can petition for custody or visitation rights.  Most often the situation arises when one parent is deceased and the parents of the deceased spouse require court intervention in order maintain a relationship with their grandchildren.  Other times, the issues arises when the grandparents have been a constant figure in the children’s lives, such as when all three generations reside together in the same home.

Grandparents can intervene in a divorce case or bring an independent action for custody or visitation rights.  When evaluating a petition by a grandparents, the Court considers the family history and the relationship between the grandparents and the children.

Such claims are rather rare but are appropriate in the right circumstances.  If you wish to speak to an attorney about your rights to custody or visitation as a grandparent, call 678-535-3232 to schedule an appointment with a Paulding County Family Law attorney (serving primarily Paulding County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Douglas County, Haralson County, and Polk County).

Leave a Reply

Serving Paulding County (including the cities of Dallas and Hiram) and surrounding counties; Cobb County (including the cities of Marietta, Acworth, Kennesaw, and Smyrna), Douglas County (including the city of Douglasville), Bartow County (including the cities of Cartersville and Emerson), and Polk County (including the city of Rockmart).